Pages

Celebrating the Preppy Lifestyle and it's sensibilities

LANDS' END WOMEN-SPRING/SUMMER REVIEW

Just the other day I finally went rummaging through the spring/summer catalogs that have been piling up. Lands' End Women was the first one I grabbed. I have perused each item especially the new arrivals and am posting what I feel are the off the marks and on the marks.
Let me first say that for the record I like Lands' End. I've always appreciated their classic approach to fashion. But I'll have to admit that I'm fond of Lands' End past more than Land' End present.
Nonetheless, one can still pick up a few good pieces for a good price if you're willing to wade through some stinkers that are passing for true classic clothing.


OFF THE MARK:


V-neck mid weight sweater
At first sight this looks like a very nice sweater.  It has great shape and I love the color.  The only drawback (and this is a big one for me) is that this sweater is 96% acrylic and 4% nylon.  There isn't a thread of cotton to be seen.  This is such an unfortunate trend not only with Lands' End but with many of our staple stores.  As of lately it seems that many of  Land's End products consist of far too many man made materials like acrylic, nylon and spandex, how dreadful.
Short Sleeve Peter Pan Blouse
No explanation is needed for this one.  Peter Pan should never be applied to any female past the age of ten.
Relaxed Pima Polo




All polo shirts aren't created equal.  This pima polo seems a little boxy and there's just too many buttons on the plackard.  I do like the idea of a quality polo without a logo but this isn't it.  In terms of that classic polo feel it's better to stick with Ralph Lauren.


ON THE MARK:






The Merriweather Trench coat


I really like this trench.  It's fully lined, lightweight and can be worn with or without the belt.  I love the fact that it's machine washable and the checkered design is spring ready.




original pattern no iron pin point shirt
I may get some complaints but I see no problem with a no iron shirt.  I like the fact that this shirt is 100% cotton and the gingham design is a nice touch. 


Chino Bermuda Shorts
I'm crazy about a woman in Chino Bermudas and these fair pretty well.
3/4 sleeve combed cotton roll neck sweater
This sweater is neither on the mark or off the mark.  It is sort of straddling the fence.  The only thing(s) I don't like about this sweater is the fact that its 3/4 sleeve and is precisely 93% super-combed cotton, 4% nylon and 3% Lycra.
women button front pattern skirt
I like this skirt.  It is very spring, fun and whimsical.
classic ballet flats
If you want a really inexpensive flat at just $49.50 these are the ones to get.  According to my wife they are pillow soft inside and don't cut into her heels like many others.
Tretorn Tennis
They're Tretorns, enough said!


I'll have to be honest, I'm not particularly blown away by the spring/summer catalog but I am loyal.  I just hope that in the end Lands' End and many our other staple stores will be as loyal to us the consumers.









The Preppy Times

No comments:

Post a Comment