ASA in San Francisco
I thought it would be fun to add a section on basic questions that you would find on the ASA Certification. By no means am I an expert, just thought it would be a fun way to brush up on the basics. I will be adding new questions every month. Let's get started. There are twenty questions. The answers are at the bottom but don't cheat!!
1. The body of a boat minus the rigging is the?
2. The weighted fin at the bottom of the boat is the?
3. The front of the boat is called the?
4. The back of the boat is the?
5. The space where the helm is located is the?
6. The fin used for steering is the?
7. The leaning action of a sailboat is called?
8. What color is a nun buoy?
9. Are you permitted to dump plastic in the ocean?
b if 12 miles off shore
d if 3 miles off shore
10. What is the purpose of safety harnesses, jacklines, and tethers?
a to satisfy USCG rules
b to keep crew attached to boat
c to keep crew onboard
d to retrieve crew who have fallen overboard
11. What scope should you use when anchoring for lunch with a rope/chain rode?
12. Which is a responsibility of the crew?
a all of these
b assist in the safe operations of the boat
c assume responsibility for a particular aspect of the boat
d obey the skipper and keep a lookout
13. If the jib roller furling line becomes fouled on the drum, your first step is to?
a use winch to increase mechanical advantage
b turn on engine and motor to harbor
c secure sail half furled
d relieve pressure on line and try to free
14. Your boat's engine consumes 0.75 gallons of fuel per hour at a cruising speed of 5 knots. The 10 gallon tank is 3/4 full. The fuel level should not go below 1/8 of a tank. How far can you go before refueling?
a 39 nm
b 49 nm
c 45 nm
15. Sailboats carry enough fresh water to sink the boat if a tank or line ruptures.
16. The angle difference between true north and magnetic north is called?
b true angle
c angle made good
17. Use short dock lines when you tie to a fixed dock in an area of high tidal range?
18. Commercial towing companies listen for requests for help on a specially reserved radio channel for towing.
19. Sea surface is smooth and mirror like. On land everything is calm and smoke rises vertically.
a force 1, 1-3 knots, light air
b force 2, 4-6 knots, light breeze
c force 3, 7-10 knots, gentle breeze
d force 0. 0-1 knot, calm
20. Pointing in the direction of place you want to go?
b direction changes
Answers: 1. c 2. c 3. a 4. b 5. c 6.b 7. c 8. b 9. a 10. b
11. a 12. a 13. d 14. a 15. a 16. d 17. b 18. a 19 d 20. b
Posted By O. Cavanaugh